This cake is like a Valentine’s Day picnic on the moon…I mean, if there was gravity and if you didn’t have to wear a space suit. Picturing it? An out of body, out of this world experience driven completely by chocolate cake. Each bite is filled with total satisfaction and a little goes a long way with its creamy rich chocolate followed by sweet and tangy notes of pomegranate and greek yogurt. Yeah, I put greek yogurt in the ganache. Wasn’t sure if it would work, but it did.
Before I take you any further, I think its important to mention this recipe was slightly adapted from a book called, Honey and Jam by Hannah Queen and if you want a copy for yourself just click here. The photography is simply stunning and each recipe is delectably sweet. It is not entirely gluten free, but it is divided up into seasonal chapters where fresh, local produce are the star players. Which, of course, is what drew me in. Oh, who am I kidding? I was sold with the picture on the front and the title ‘Honey & Jam’. Yeah..I guess I am one of those ‘judge a book by its cover’ kind of people, but luckily the inside of this one was even better than the outside.
Anyway, I don’t really have a lot of words for this post, but a few of you showed some interest for the recipe today over on Instagram. So since I like you, I figured I better not keep it to myself.
Here’s the recipe:
- 9 oz dark chocolate chips ( we used the Enjoy Life brand)
- 1/2 C unsalted pasture raised butter (we like Vital Farms) -cut into small pieces.
- 1 C coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 pasture raised eggs ( again Vital Farms)
- 1/2 C Cacao powder (we like Nutiva)
- Vegetable Shortening (Nutiva the superfood brand- the one made with red palm oil and is the color of butter)
Pre-heat the oven to 350 F . Grease a springform pan with the shortening. In a sauce pan add the chocolate and butter and heat over medium. Whisking constantly until everything is melted together. Transfer to a large glass mixing bowl, using a spatula to make sure you don’t miss anything. Add in the coconut sugar, sea salt, and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Then, add an egg one at a time whisking after each one. (don’t forget to wash your eggs and crack them into a separate bowl so that you don’t accidentally get any shell into your batter) Finally, add the cacao and whisk again until smooth. Using the spatula pour and scrape batter into springform pan, smooth the surface and bake until set. About 25 minutes. Once you can really smell the chocolate baking it should be done.
While you’re waiting for the cake to finish baking, get ready to make the ganache. Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 C fresh pomegranate juice (about 1 and a 1/2 pomegranates juiced with a hand juicer)
- 1 C fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 C unsweetened greek yogurt
- 9 oz enjoy life dark chocolate chips
Pour the chocolate into a clean glass bowl and set aside. In a sauce pan, add the yogurt and pomegranate juice. Heat while whisking and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, remove from heat and pour over the chocolate in the glass bowl. Let sit for a few minutes so the chocolate will soften and whisk together easily to make the ganache . Whisk smooth.
Remove cake from the oven and let cool. Remove from the springform pan onto a serving plate and top with ganache, then the pomegranate seeds. Serve. Feel the love.
You’re probably already thinking this, but with Valentine’s Day coming up, this would make a great gift for the sweet people in your life. XO
- 1. 1/2 C pasture raised butter
- 2. 9 oz dark chocolate chips
- 3. 1 C coconut sugar
- 4. 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 5. 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6. 4 pasture raised eggs
- 7. 1/2 C cacao powder
- 1. 1/2 C pomegranate juice (fresh squeezed with hand juicer- you'll need about two pomegranates for everything)
- 2. 1 C pomegranate seeds
- 3. 1/2 C unsweetened greek yogurt (grass fed/pasture raised milk without use of antibiotics is preferred)
- 4. 9 oz dark chocolate chips (we used Enjoy Life)
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a sauce pan and whisk smooth over medium low heat. Remove and transfer to large mixing bowl. Add sugar, salt and vanilla. Whisk smooth. Add eggs, one at a time whisking after each addition. Finish with cacao. Whisk smooth. Pour into greased springform pan and smooth top. Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes or until set.
- Ganache: In separate clean glass bowl, add chocolate and set aside. In saucepan add juice and yogurt and whisk together. Heat over medium and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. As soon as it comes to a boil, turn off heat and pour over chocolate. Let set a few minutes to melt the chocolate and whisk together until smooth. You should have fresh pomegranate seeds ready and waiting in another bowl for garnish.
- Once the cake is cooled and removed from springform, ice the top with ganache and garnish with seeds. Serve.